Dr. Monroe instructed us to utilize a new questioning strategy in the classroom, and I decided to try "cold calling." I tested the method during fourth period on a Friday afternoon after the students had just taken a long test. I wrote every student's name on a notecard and briefly described that we would be answering questions differently that day, that I had a stack of cards with everyone's name and that everyone would answer in the class period. There were no groans or moans, and the class seemed open to the idea.
This was not an "on" day for me. I felt like my teaching was very forced that day and being in front of a group of students felt unnatural all of a sudden. The students were ready to wedge open any seam in my lesson. They were ready for lunch and for the weekend and were resistant to activities. Rather than buoying class enthusiasm by teaching in a more excited, "can't-you-see-this-is-more-important-than-anything-in-the-world-right-now" way, I became less confident, and the lesson became less cohesive. Calling students' names from index cards seemed to complicate the situation since I felt a bit scattered to begin with, and towards the end of class I gave up on the cards.
It's hard for me to gauge my students' and my response to the cold-calling method from this day. It's definitely something I will try again since we often have the same few students responding to every question. In the past week I have randomly called on students, and it usually works well whenever I do that. It is difficult sometimes to keep from calling on the students with their hands up, and I think that having popsicle sticks or index cards would help with the flow of cold calling. I think cards would also make it seem less like I'm calling out someone who is not participating.
Cold calling, you and I will meet again.
No comments:
Post a Comment